Monday 21 March 2011

Speed Painting Pt1

Never really feel like I have the skill's with which to speed paint. I know that may seem like a strange thing to say (after all, speed painting on face value seems an like a much easier method of painting, no real detail, loose and suggestive markings, at times even child like!!!)  However, I honestly feel you need a certain collection of skills and approach to achieve such a quick and understated painting.

 In the past, I've found that I've not had the patience and visual understanding to work within this carefree manor. I get over focused and instantly start thinking about the minor detail's and the overall presentation. Today, those worries and barriers were no where to be seen. I approached this painting head on and to my surprise I didn't get to my usual 20minutes barrier, with which I would normally lose all focus,speed and revert back to type. Amazingly, I had totally artistic belief and foresight throughout the whole process and had the piece finished within 50minutes. Now I know the image below is no Mona Lisa, but for me the speed with which it was done and the approach that was taken were both a real stepping stone for me. I hope I can continue working and developing this approach, so that my portfolio will eventually contain a nice balance between loose work and more detailed and time consuming work.

Oink...Oink


(amended)


No comments: